Monday, July 30, 2012

And on Sports

With the Olympics being the focus of the sporting world for the next two weeks, I will add my two cents.

I was extremely disappointed and frankly pissed off by US women's goalkeeper, Hope Solo's, tweets post-Saturday's match. She took Brandi Chastain, NBC commentator and former Olympic and World Cup champion to task for a few match comments.

Really, that is what you should be doing after a game and during the Olympics. I think Solo is shallower than a red cup. I was glad to see the commentary did not support her behavior.

Sally Jenkins had this insightful column in today's Washington Post: Hope Solo Could Learn a Few Things From Brandi Chastain

I also saw Julie Foudy had some strong words for Solo: Saddened by Hope Solo's Tweets

As a "Title IX" kid, I think Foudy, Chastain, Mia Hamm and others have every right to commentate, critique and really do whatever they want. Women's sports in general, not just soccer, wouldn't even be close to where they are today, still far from parody with men's sports, but at least well on to the map without those pioneering women.

If Solo wants to sell her crazy book two days after the Olympics, that is fine. But she is playing a team sport, and her selfish, headline grabbing comments, are ill-timed and unwarranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment